Issogne - Castles and towers
Formerly property of the Bishops of Aosta, then restored in the 15th century by Ibleto of Challant, Issogne Castle’s current appearance developed between 1490 and 1510 under George of Challant, the prior of Sant’ Orso, who restored and transformed it into a luxurious residence for his cousin Margaret de La Chambre and her son Philibert. These works transformed Issogne castle into a luxurious Renaissance residence. After various owners, it was bought by the artist Vittorio Avondo in 1872 who restored it and donated it to the State in 1907. Today the castle belongs to the autonomous Region of Aosta Valley. Not far from the castle are the ruins of its dove house.
Entering the castle, the courtyard offers its walls, painted with the coats of arms of the Challant family and of the dinasties related to them. In the centre of the courtyard is the famous wrought-iron pomegranate fountain, symbol of the Challant family.
Then comes the hall frescoed with the famous “lunettes“, scenes from everyday life (the guards, the butcher and the baker, the greengrocer market, the tailor’s workshop, the pharmacy and the grocer).
The visit of the apartments of the castle includes: – on the ground-floor, the dining room, the kitchen and the Baron’s hall, where you can admire a beautiful stone fireplace with the Challant crest alongside a lion and a griffin, painted wooden beams on the ceiling and frescoes on the walls depicting landscapes, hunting scenes and the Judgment of Paris; – on the first floor, the chapel with finely decorated, pointed arch vaults, frescoes on the walls and a Gothic altar in carved, gilded wood in a Flemish triptych,and the Countess’s room with painted oratory; – on the second floor, the â€śKing of France’s roomâ€ť, with a coffered ceiling decorated with lilies and a fireplace with the French Vallois dynasty shield, and the room called the “Knights of St. Maurice” with a beautiful, coffered ceiling with the Order’s cross painted on it.
Castello di Issogne
11020 ISSOGNE (AO)
Telephone:(+39) 0125 929373
Tourist Office - Pont-Saint-Martin
via Circonvallazione, 30
11026 PONT SAINT MARTIN (AO)
opening days and timetables
Last tour 30 minutes before closing time
March and September:
daily opening from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
April to August:
daily opening from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. – Wednesdays closed
January and February â€“ November and December:
open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Wednesdays closed
Closed on December 25th and January 1st
Opening times are subject to variations: we advice to verify them by contacting the phone number reported in the “Contact” area.
Full price ticket: â‚¬ 5.00
Reduced entrance-fee : â‚¬ 3.50 (groups of at least 25 paying visitors and university students)
Free admission : < 18 years, disabled persons and their companions
Rules for use
Entry allowed for groups up to 25 people per visit.
Advance sale of tickets from opening time onwards, following the arrival order, until last visit.
Site partially accessible (courtyard and ground floor) to people with disabilities.