User: Anonymous - New trip User: Anonymous - List of trips User: Anonymous - Add to the trip

The Notre Dame de Guérison Sanctuary

Courmayeur - Churches and sanctuaries

This church is located on the road to Val Veny, with a Brenva glacier backdrop. It was once dedicated to Vierge du Terrier and today to Notre-Dame de la Guérison. The sanctuary was built in 1792, on a stone mass, called a “berrier” in Patois, meaning rock or stone. In 1816 the small sanctuary was knocked by the relentless advancement of the Brenva glacier: only the statue of the Madonna remained intact, something that was considered miraculous. The current sanctuary was rebuilt in 1867 and consecrated the following year. The supernatural fame of the Virgin Mary has made this sanctuary a place of pilgrimage. Its inside walls are completely covered in crutches, votive offerings and gifts, left here by believers in her miracles. The valley guides celebrate a periodic mass to pray for their protection.

Santuario di Notre Dame de Guérison
strada per la Val Veny
11013 COURMAYEUR (AO)
Telephone:0165.869085

Tourist Office - Courmayeur
Piazzale Monte Bianco, 15
11013 COURMAYEUR (AO)
Telephone:(+39) 0165.842060
Fax:(+39) 0165.842072
E-mail: courmayeur@turismo.vda.it

Information

  • opening days and timetables

    Accessible only in summertime

  • prices

    Free entry

See also