Saint Francis of Assisi Chapel
The Capuchin’s chapel holds centuries of history; in 1626 the Baron Paul Emmanuel of Challant, with an act dated March 22nd, ceded a building to found a monastery to the religious order. In 1633, after renovation works, the first Capuchin monks settled there.
Next to the convent there was a chapel dedicated to Saint Gratus, the powerful thaumaturgist invoked for diseases, wars and famines. Considered too small, the chapel was completely rebuilt between 1635 and 1642 and dedicated to Saint Francis of Assisi, depicted on a beautiful wooden altar which can be still admired nowdays inside the chapel, together with the coats of arms of the Challant and Passerin d’Entrèves families.
The French Revolution led to the suppression of many monastic institutions and after the convents of Aosta and Morgex, in 1802 it was also Châtillon’s turn: the monks were chased away and the building used as a warehouse for the troops.
After various vicissitudes and changes of use, in 1895 the Bishop of Aosta, Msgr Joseph-Auguste Duc, bought the building from the Municipality and the Convent, still today, hosts the only Capuchin community present in Aosta Valley.