*From July 1st to August 30th, open Tuesdays to Sundays from 10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and from 2.30 to 6 p.m.
Last tour 30 minutes before closing time
Full-price ticket € 2.00
Reduced € 1.00
Free admission : > 65 and < 12 years
The site is not accessible to people with disabilities.
Rising up on rocky outcrop that gives control over the entire valley in an area that saw settlements dating back to prehistoric times (Bronze Age and Iron Age), this castle is fully part of the category of so-called ‘primitive castles’ by virtue of its mighty_donjon_, that dates back to the first thirty years of the 11th century, and the military chapel dedicated to Saint Maurice, a jewel of Romanesque architecture.
The castle belonged to Cly branch of the Challant family and was the legal seat of a vast estate that included the territories of Verrayes, Diémoz, Saint-Denis, Chambave, Antey, Torgnon, up to the entire area of Valtournenche. Following dramatic events it passed on to the House of Savoy who kept it until 1550. In the 17th century the building was purchased by the Barons Roncas who distmantled many materials for the construction of their palace in Chambave.
Guided visits in summer periods.
Telefono:(+39) 320 4369898