Chapels and shrines
CHAPEL OF S. GIOVANNI BATTISTA: this beautiful chapel is situated in the district of Lignod di Ayas, on its facade it has a painting by Franz Curta from Gressoney, dated 1875. The theme shows “Universal Judgement”.
CHAPEL OF S. PIETRO AND S. DEFENDENTE: situated in the district of Periasc di Ayas, the chapel was restored by the parish priest Dandrès in 1861, as we can read on the facade: “Commencee et mise a couvert en 1861 finie en 1863 et benie le 11 octobre meme annee”; above the portal is the dedication “A la plus grande gloire de Dieu a l’honneur de l’immaculee et des glorieux S. Pierre et S. Defendent”.
CHAPEL OF MAGNEAZ: the district of Magneaz is 3 kilometres from Champoluc. The chapel originates from two distinct eras: the presbytery, with its ribbed vault, may be assigned to the end of the 15th century – to the era of the great patron George of Challant, and in actual fact the coat of arms of the Challant family that is visible in the keystone leads us to suppose that this family contributed to the construction of the chapel – while the nave is from the 18th century. The chapel is dedicated to the visitation of the Madonna. The main altar is in carved wood, painted and partially gilded. Between four tortile columns in the centre there is the statue of the Madonna with Child, on the left St. Paul and Saint Barbara on the right. Above, in the central niche, there is St. Peter seated on a throne.
CHAPEL OF PILAZ: the district of Pilaz is approximately 3 km before Champoluc. The chapel, which dates back to 1746, is dedicated to Michael the Archangel.
CHAPEL OF BISOUS: situated in the small district of Bisous, 1 Km from Antagnod, it is dedicated to the Madonna delle Nevi, celebrated on the 5th of August.
CHAPEL DELL’OLIVA: dedicated to Maria Auxilium Christianorum. The chapel was built by the parish priest Dandrès in 1840. It would appear that on Palm Sunday the chapel was visited for the blessing of the olive branches, a tradition that still continues today.
CHAPEL OF PRACHARBON: dedicated to St. Martin, it dates back to 1736 and rises up in the middle of the forest, along the old dirt road that links Ayas to Brusson. It is only visible from the outside.
SHRINE OF BARMASC: Barmasc is a district upstream from Antagnod, 1828 metres above sea level. The shrine, which is dedicated to “Notre-Dame du Bon Secours”, immediately attracted crowds of pilgrims from the most far flung parishes: the processions that flocked there in the past from La Magdeleine, from Chamois, Antey and from the two Challands are famous, they went to invoke the gift of rain, which was sometimes granted. A propitiatory rite was to immerse the cross in the water that comes up from underneath the chapel. On the 15th of July 1990, the shrine was visited by His Holiness Pope John Paul II. To reach Barmasc from Antagnod, take the detour between the Santa San hotel and the Falconetta restaurant, and go uphill as far as the end of the road. The trail that leads to the shrine is characteristic and suggestive, it departs from Ville Rivetti and goes towards Antagnod.