Church of San Lorenzo
The small deconsecreted Church of San Lorenzo, still guarded by a centuries-old lime treee, is today one of Aosta’s main exhibtion venues. Underground, the church houses the archaeological excavations of the 5th century paleochristian funerary basilica with Latin cross plan on which ist was build.
The exhibition site, accessible to the disabled, is housed in the small church dedicated to San Lorenzo *, the parish church until 1793.
In the subsoil you can visit the archaeological excavations of the primitive building, an early Christian funerary basilica dating back to the fifth century, destroyed during the eighth century and replaced, in the following century, by a smaller church, dedicated to San Lorenzo, which was enlarged in the eleventh-twelfth centuries and remodeled in the fifteenth-sixteenth centuries (period to which the side portal dates back in ogival style) and seventeenth (when the orientation of the apse was changed and the porch built).
The Church is now a privileged venue for exhibitions dedicated to Valle d’Aosta craftsmanship and local artistic production.