Regional Archaeological Museum
The upper floors of the Archeological Museum house prestigious exhibitions.
The building, known as ex Challand Barracks, previously a Convent of the Visitandines, was founded in 1633 by the marquis Pierre-Philibert Roncas (son of the builder of the palace) and by his wife Emérentienne de Vaudan. Towards the half of the 18th century the monastery assumed the present appearance. The paintings on the façade (of the 19th century) reproduce the coat of arms of the Savoy House (up above) and the portraits of the main characters of the Challant House, who distinguished themselves for their military merits (from left to right, from up to down: Boniface Marshal of Savoy, Claude Governor of the Aosta Valley and Ivrea, Ibleto General Captain of Piedmont and René Marshal of Savoy).
The ground floor is seat of the Regional Archeological Museum.
A visiting route is prepared in the underground of the Archeological Museum, where the excavations carried out before the renovation of the building, brought to light the area occupied by the Porta Principalis Sinistra (‘Major Left Door’) and by a stretch of the wall perimeter.
A bookshop at the entrance sells the catalogues of all art exhibitions hosted over the years by the Ministry for Education and Culture of the Valle d’Aosta autonomous Region.