Fortress of Bard
- Tuesdays to Fridays 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturdays, Sundays and on public holidays 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
The ticket office closes 45 minutes before the fortress’s closing time.
Autumn closing from November 19th to December 6th, 2018 included
Timetable for Christmas holidays
- on December 24th and 25th closed
- from December 26th to January 6th open following usual timetable, except:
- on Monday 31st December 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- on Tuesday 1st January 1 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Closed from 7th to 18th January 2019 included
The Alps Museum:
open following the Fortress timetable
Il Ferdinando, fortresses and frontiers Museum:
open following the Fortress timetable
The Fortress’ Prisons:
- Tuesdays to Fridays 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturdays, Sundays and on public holidays 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
The Children’s Alps:
open Sundays and on public holidays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. (last entry at 4.30 p.m.)
On weekdays open only for groups, on reservation by calling (+39) 0125 833817
Opening times are subject to variations: we advice to verify them on the web site reported in the “Contact” area.
Accompanied tour: € 65.00 (for groups of 25 people, booking required).
The Alps Museum
-Full price ticket € 8.00
-Reduced entrance-fee € 6.00
-Children 6-18 years old and school groups € 4.00
Il Ferdinando: fortresses and frontiers Museum
-Full price ticket € 9.00
-Reduced entrance-fee € 7.00
-Children 6-18 years old and school groups € 5.00
The Fortress’ Prisons
-Full price ticket € 4.00
-Reduced, 6/18 years old and school groups € 3.00
The Children’s Alps
-Full price ticket € 6.00
-Reduced € 5.00
-Children 6-18 years old € 4.00
-Accompanied tour: (on reservation, max. 21 people) € 65.00 + € 2.00 entry
Reduced entrance-fee for: visitors between 6 and 18 and > 65 years, university students.
Free admission for: < 5 years, disabled visitors, tourist guides and journalists on duty and provided with professional card.
Late Ticket fee: access to all the fortress rooms at special prices just before the closing time.
For special reductions (groups, families, schools, conventions), guided visits and combined tickets for visiting different spaces, please contact the Fortress’ ticket office.
Possibility of buying single and combined tickets for museums and exhibitions at reduced fee in all Aosta Valley Tourist Offices
To access the top of the fortress you can follow the pedestrian path that winds through mighty walls starting from the medieval village, next to the parking lot, or use the panoramic lifts from which you can enjoy a wonderful view of the valley below.
The Fortress’ spaces are accessible to people with disabilities; access difficulties to the Prisons, because of the cobblestone pavement.
Already during Theodoric’s reign (early 6th century A.D), sixty armed soldiers were garrisoned to defend the “Clausuræ Augustanæ” (a defence system set up to protect the borders of the Empire) in Bard.
In 1034, it was described as “inexpugnabile oppidum”, in one of the oldest references to a castle in Valle d’Aosta. The Savoys became the Lords of Bard in 1242, with Amadeus IV, driven by the insistence of the local inhabitants, who were tired of the abuse of power by Hugh of Bard, who exploited the position of his castle to levy heavy duties on travellers and merchants.
From that time on, the castle was always controlled by the Savoys, who held a garrison there. In 1661, the armies from other fortresses in Aosta Valley, including Verrès and Montjovet, converged in Bard.
The castle took on renewed importance with the passage of the French army in 1704 and particularly in May 1800 on the arrival of Napoleon Bonaparte, who found a garrison of 400 Austrian men within the fortress. The defence structures of the fortress were so efficient that Napoleon’s army took about two weeks to overcome the Austrian defences, eventually succeeding thanks to cunning tactics. The fortress was then dismantled by Napoleon, to avoid further problems.
The current appearance of the fort is the result of reconstruction work commissioned by Carlo Felice, at the height of the Restoration, which, from 1830 onwards, turned it into one of the largest military structures in the Aosta Valley. The fortress began to deteriorate at the end of the nineteenth century. It was used as a prison and then as a weapons depot. It was decommissioned in 1975 from military state property and was purchased by the Aosta Valley regional authority in 1990.
Completely renewed in 2006, the fortress hosts the Museum of the Alps, the Children’s Alps, the “Prisons*, the Fortresses and Frontiers Museum, as well as permanent and temporary exhibitions.