Sant'Orso Fair in Donnas
- 19 January 2018 - 21 January 2018
Friday, January 19th
- 20.00: Traditional “Veillà” to discover the open cellars in the old village and re-enactment of ancient crafts.
Saturday 20 January
- 19.30: torchlight procession through the streets of the village in honor of the craftsmen artists;
- 20.00: Holy Mass in the Chapel of Sant’Orso with the choir of Donnas
Sunday, January 21st
- 8.30 am – Official opening of the Fair.
- 9.30 am – performance of the Donnas municipal Band
- 5.00 pm – Awarding of artisan exhibitors and closing of the fair.
It has normally been held the third Sunday of January , in order to avoid overlapping with the one in Aosta, held 30th and 31st of the same month.
The events surrounding the Fair normally start Friday, with the Veillà, then on Saturday the town’s streets are enhanced by a charming torchlight procession, after there is a Mass for the artisans and an evening with choirs, while the exhibition of the items created by around 500 artisans takes place on Sunday.
Once a fair for selling farm tools built during the winter, over time it has transformed into a showcase for Valle d’Aosta’s traditional crafts products. You can still find rakes, baskets, spoons and ladles, casks, sabots and household items, but today there is mainly the expertise of full-fledged artists to admire, who specialise in sculptures, bas reliefs, inlay on wood or serpentine as well as articles in copper and wrought iron, laces, fabrics in hemp or wool, slippers, etc.