"Lé Beuffon" announce the arrival of the carnival
- 15 February 2021 - 16 February 2021
Monday 15 February
From 12pm “Beuffons” walk in Val Ferret (only after avalanche risk assessment and with favorable weather conditions).
Tuesday 16 February
From 10:30am to 5:30pm, passage of the “Beuffons” in Courmayeur and surroundings (from Entrèves to Courmayeur – 12pm, from Dolonne to Courmayeur – 4.30pm)
The “Beuffon” is the typical mask and symbol of the Courmayeur carnival. In the days before Shrove Tuesday, in the streets of the town and in Val Ferret it is possible to meet these colorful characters who, with their bells and their joy, have the task of announcing the Carnival.
Celebrate the awakening of nature and the death of winter.
The Beuffon costume, which appeared at the beginning of the twentieth century in Dolonne, a hamlet of Courmayeur, is an ironic interpretation of a military uniform:
- black jacket enriched with medals
- golden buttons and colored beads
- red pants with pompoms
- white or checkered socks
- red spats
- low hat with red and blue plume entirely covered with flowers, cockades and long multicolored ribbons
- leather belt decorated with bells
- a stick with which he controls the crowd during the parade of allegorical floats.
In fact, it is his task to keep order during the party, as well as to introduce and announce the arrival of the carnival.
Get to know this unique army of masks!
- Courmayeur’s folk group
- for children and adult
- any cost
- happiness in town