Sant'Orso Fair in Donnas
- 16 January 2020 - 19 January 2020
Thursday 16th January 2020
- 9.00 p.m.: waiting for the fair: concert “Vivavoce di Donnas” in the St Ours Chapel
Friday 17th January 2020
8 p.m. Traditional Veillà (evening festival)
A look around the wine cellars open in the old village, to learn about ancient trades and characteristic genuine flavours, to the sound of local choirs and musicians.
Saturday 1th January 2020
- 7.30 p.m. Torchlight parade through the streets of the village with the Donnas music band
- 8.00 p.m. Holy Mass in the Chapel of Sant’Orso
- 8.30 p.m. Visit to the ethnographic exhibition;
Sunday 19 January 2020
- 8.30 a.m. Official opening of the Fair – tour of the jury around the stalls to decide the winners of the special prizes;
- 9.30 a.m. concert by the Donnas music band;
11.00 p.m.Holy Mass in the Chapel of Sant’Orso;
- 5 p.m. Awards presented to stallholders and closure of the fair
On Sunday a shuttle service will be available all day, running between both entrances to the fair.
It has normally been held the third Sunday of January , in order to avoid overlapping with the one in Aosta, held 30th and 31st of the same month.
The events surrounding the Fair normally start Friday, with the Veillà, then on Saturday the town’s streets are enhanced by a charming torchlight procession, after there is a Mass for the artisans and an evening with choirs, while the exhibition of the items created by around 500 artisans takes place on Sunday.
Once a fair for selling farm tools built during the winter, over time it has transformed into a showcase for Valle d’Aosta’s traditional crafts products. You can still find rakes, baskets, spoons and ladles, casks, sabots and household items, but today there is mainly the expertise of full-fledged artists to admire, who specialise in sculptures, bas reliefs, inlay on wood or serpentine as well as articles in copper and wrought iron, laces, fabrics in hemp or wool, slippers, etc.