Edoardo Camardella Bivouac
Description of the route
Altitude: 3,357 m.
Location: Colle del Rutor, at the beginning of the north-eastern summit ridge of Testa del Rutor
Sleeping places: 6
Open: always open
Difficulty: A (mountaineering equipment)
Trail sign: 3-AV2 until Rifugio Deffeyes, 16 until Rifugio degli Angeli
• from La Thuile (La Joux hamlet 1,607 m) 7h
• from Rifugio Deffeyes (2,500 m) 3h30
• from Valgrisenche (Bonne hamlet 1,664 m) 6h
• from Rifugio degli Angeli (2,916 m) 1h40
The bivouac is dedicated to Edoardo Camardella, a young freerider and ski instructor who died in 2019 overwhelmed by an avalanche on Mont Blanc.
Edo was a young boy who loved sport and dedicated himself with passion to many sporting projects in La Thuile.
In 2013, together with some partners, he founded the Boulder Up & Down.
In 2015 Edo completed one of its first ultratrails, the 60km Liconi Trail. From this great passion, he decided to organize a trail in La Thuile, which since 2016 has been attracting and hosting athletes from all over the world. Edo has always lived off sport, and through his engaging passion, he has inspired many young people to love the mountains.
The bivouac was born thanks to “Progetto CMR”, with the patronage of the Edoardo Camardella Bivouac Foundation and the Municipality of La Thuile.
The design of the project represents two joined blocks (a tribute to the two friends) and the external structure is inspired by the Vedette del Rutor, which act as a reference point during the ascent to the bivouac.
The construction of the bivouac began in summer 2020 and ended in September 2022.
The bivouac is entirely built with eco-sustainable materials and is self-sufficient from an energy point of view.
• from Rifugio Deffeyes: proceed in the direction of the glacier following the path that runs along the moraine, in some places there are safe ropes and chains. Once you get to the glacier, you cross it in a rope with mountaineering equipment until you reach the bivouac. From the bivouac you can reach the Testa del Rutor (3,486 m).
• from Rifugio degli Angeli: proceed along the trail following many stone cairns until you reach the Morion glacier. Cross the glacier (mountaineering equipment) heading north to the spur that leads to Colle del Rutor, where the bivouac is located. Always inquire about the conditions of the route as stone falls may occur in the climb to the Colle del Rutor.
Equipment: 6 beds with mattresses and mattress covers, solar panels for energy autonomy, underfloor heating and LED lighting, there is also a low voltage USB socket for charging telephones and / or electronic equipment. The property does not have an equipped kitchen. In the bivouac there is a large window that opens onto a spectacular view of Mont Blanc. The bivouac is also equipped with a weather station with a 360 ° webcam.