Saint George parish church

Rhêmes-Saint-Georges

Located on a prominent headland, it represents one of the most significant historic monuments in the valley. It was already mentioned in a Papal Bull from Alexander III in 1176 with the name “Ecclesia de Voce”: it is the first parish church dedicated to Saint George, located in the village of Voix.
It was destroyed by flooding or a landslide, according to different sources, and was rebuilt in its current location in the XV century.
Over the centuries the church underwent changes, such as the raising of the belltower, the construction of a new wooden altar in Valsesian style, typical of Baroque figurative culture in the Alps, and the addition of some furnishings such as Boemia crystal chandeliers from 1840.
The small parish church museum is particularly precious, full of furnishings and small statues of sacred art.

Contact

Parrocchia di San Giorgio
Località Vieux
11010 RHEMES-SAINT-GEORGES (AO)
  • Telephone:
    (+39)0165.907631
 
Meteo
Meteo

Details
Aosta
°C
°C
Tourist Areas
Tourist Areas

Mont Blanc

Gran Paradiso

Great Saint Bernard

Aosta and surroundings

Matterhorn

Monte Rosa

Central Valley

Webcam
Webcam
Cogne

Webcams map       Resort
Rhemes Notre Dame

Webcams map       Resort
Saint Nicolas

Webcams map       Resort
Valgrisenche

Webcams map       Resort
Valsavarenche

Webcams map       Resort