The town, with around 2,700 inhabitants, is located 391 metres above sea level where the Evançon and Dora rivers meet, on the left, mountain slope of the latter, in vast flatland.
It is the smallest municipality in the region, but definitely one of the most important given its central position.
Founded by the Salassi, the ancient district of Verrès was known by the Romans for its multiple trading functions and it was given the Latin name “Vitricium”, probably due to the presence of an ancient glassworks.
The town is dominated by an impressive manor located on the rock that blocks access to Valle d’Ayas and which captures the attention of anyone travelling in this area. Built by Ibleto di Challant around 1390, the castle is a splendid example of a feudal fortress. The weighty structure of this enormous cube rock (30 metres per side) is softened with a mullioned window and cross windows, arched doors, the monumental staircase and the enormous fireplaces, the most beautiful in Valle d?Aosta.
It is a picturesque scene during the carnival, the historical commemoration of Caterina di Challant, including the countess surrounded by counts, armed guards and captains in costumes from that era; this is an opportunity to open the castle at night for traditional celebrations.
The main architectural structure of Saint-Gilles Church, in the centre of the town is almost in perfect symmetry with the castle; the building was constructed around the year 1000. The mullioned window in the ancient church of Ibleto on the back wall is particularly interesting: this is one of the most beautiful stone windows of all Gothic architecture in Valle d’Aosta. The adjacent parish church of Sant’Egidio was built on a pre-existing Romanesque church.
The Murasse farmstead, built in 1512, was used as a stable by the Challant family. It is composed of a town wall with turrets on one side, by the long, smaller and lowered vaulted stables and a “dove” tower, a sign of noble superiority and privilege.
Around the district you can visit the churches of the Addolorata, Madonna delle Grazie, San Grato and San Rocco.
There are an increasing number of events taking place: the “Verreziese Scambio e dell’Occasione Market” takes place every Sunday in June, July, August and September in the historic centre of the town. The Medieval Festival is held on the last weekend in July, the Food and Wine Festivals take place in San Rocco on the 16th of August and Sant?Agostino on 28th August.
Along the course of the Dora River, in the municipal lands of Verrès, you will find a regional fishing reserve, which is also open during the winter to fishermen who practice “No Kill” fishing, which means the catch is put back in the water.
The area includes an arboretum , called the ?Borna di laou?, planted at the beginning of the Fifties and which extends over a surface area of around 6 hectares.