Historical carnival of Verrès
- 07 May 2022 - 08 May 2022
La cena di domenica 8 maggio è a numero chiuso. Prenotazione obbligatoria entro giovedì 05/05 a: email@example.com o whatsapp 3517039763 o presso “La Rosa incantata – Via Duca d’Aosta 18”. La convalida verrà trasmessa dagli stessi canali.
If you want to come to the carnival using public transports, see the link
Saturday 7th May 2022
- 20.30 pm – Introduction of Caterina di Challant, Pierre d’Introd and the historical parade in Emile Chanoux Square. Reading of the “Proclamation” and Caterina’s dance. The parade moves off by torchlight from Chanoux Square to the Town hall, with the participation of the Verrès Philharmonic Orchestra. Handing over of the powers to the Châtelaine by the Mayor and reception in the Bonomi Hall.
- In R. De Challant square, re-enactment of the “Litigio di Verrès” (Verrès quarrel)
- In the Town Hall, handing over of the Keys by the Mayor. The parade continues through the village until it reaches the “Espace Loisir M. Massa”.
- 10.30 pm:”Espace Loisir M. Massa” – Dancing evening with ‘’I Ragazzi del Villaggio’’. Free entrance.
Sunday 8th May 2022
- From 11.00 am – Medieval entertainment in the village streets. On ‘’Fiorin’’ Square, – Medieval games for children.
- 2.30 pm – É. Chanoux Square, and the streets and square of the village.
Official presentation of Caterina di Challant and Pierre d’Introd LXXIII
- Parade of historical groups and Carnivals from Aosta Valley and Canavese.
- Traditional parade of the Châtelain’s charriot and Pierre d’Introd’s horses. Candy throwing.
At the “Espace Loisir M. Massa”
- 6:00 pm: awarding of prizes to the participants in the historical Carnival of Verrès.
- 7:30 pm: served dinner (mixed grill and polenta) with Caterina di Challant e Pierre d’Introd (Limited number. Reservation required by Thursday 05/05 to: firstname.lastname@example.org or whatsapp 3517039763 or at “La Rosa incantata – Via Duca d’Aosta 18”. The validation will be transmitted by the same channel.)
- 10:30 pm – Great return of “Fono & Brass” in concert. Free entrance.
- During the 2 days at the “l’Espace Loisir M. Massa”, in Via Duca d’Aosta, accurate Bar-Vineria, pizza and sandwiches prepared on the spot.
- During the month of May also opening on Saturday and Sunday afternoon of the exhibition “TOUR” of the Historical Carnival at Maison La Tour.
The year was 1449 and Caterina di Challant and her consort Pierre d’Introd came down to Verrès, escorted by a handful of armed guards. After lunch with the Reverendo Pietro di Chissé, Provost of the Minster of Saint Gilles, they made their way to the main square in front of the church. Everyone started dancing in time with the music, played on the fife and drum, and Caterina, leaving her consort’s side, started dancing with daring youths from the town. The people’s enthusiasm was at a peak and a unanimous cry went up: “Vive Introd et Madame de Challant”.
The echo of that joyful cry can still be heard today. Over 500 hundred years have gone by but not erased the memory of that feast day, and so every year, the whole population of Verrès eagerly awaits the celebration of Carnival time, with great enthusiasm. Playing the part of the nobles is a much sought-after role by all the townsfolk.
There is a full program and each year costume parades are proposed followed by a beautiful ball in the halls of the castle that overlooks the town The Carnival reaches its climax every year when the main characters enter the town square. At the end of this part of the event, the people listen intently to the town-crier, who declaims the “Proclamation of the Citizenry” in a “strange but comic” ancient language.