Parish Church of Santissimo Salvatore

Perloz

In the past Salvador’s Church held a very important role because the parish of Perloz covered the entire Lys valley. Later, from the end of 1100, independent parishes were established in the surrounding areas.
It is not known exactly when it was built, with some saying around 772, however it was probably built around the year 1000. Only the bell-tower (its base is from the IX or X century, however the upper parts are more recent) of the original building remains because it was entirely demolished in the early seventeenth century to make way for the new church.
The church, which was built between 1616 and 1620 in the same place as the previous one, has remained almost intact to present day. It has a rectangular plan and is composed of a single nave with three ribbed vaults.
The main facade is frescoed with a painting depicting the Last Judgement dating back to 1676. Inside, one can observe the main altar in black marble and multi-coloured wooden inlay. There are beautiful panels with statues of St. Orso, St. Gratus, St. John the Baptist, St. James the Evangelist and obviously St. Salvador, which is positioned to the centre. The relic contains a thorn said to be from Christ’s crown brought to the church during The Crusades.

Contact

Parrocchia
Località Capoluogo
11020 PERLOZ (AO)
  • Telephone:
    0125/804177
Meteo
Meteo

Details
Aosta
°C
°C
Tourist Areas
Tourist Areas

Mont Blanc

Gran Paradiso

Great Saint Bernard

Aosta and surroundings

Matterhorn

Monte Rosa

Central Valley

Webcam
Webcam
Chamois

Webcams map       Resort
Champorcher

Webcams map       Resort
Saint Vincent - Col de Joux

Webcams map       Resort