Small centre in the middle of the Lys valley at an altitude of 953 m, in a flat area, between meadows and forests, it was already well known at the time of the Romans when it went by the name of “Axima”.
In the 1500’s during the domination of the Vallaise house, the law court was in Issime: nowadays, in front of the former municipal building, there are still traces of stalls.
The parish church of San Giorgio Maggiore dates back to the XVI century and was built on the ruins of a previous building; its frescoes dating from the XVIII century adorning the facade are well known. It depicts the Universal Judgement painted by local artists. Inside the main altar sculpted in wood and gold, and dating form the 1600’s is of particular interest; the 19th century side altars are also worth mentioning.
In Issime they speak a language known as “Toitschu” with undisputable German origins.
Issime is the perfect base both in winter for those in search of the main ski destinations in the valley, and in the summer thanks to the opportunity to go on a number of excursions; these include one to the San Grato valley towards the Dondeuill Hills, across mountain pastures where there are plenty of “Stadel”, traditional buildings still in good condition.
In the San Grato valley, the chapel of Santa Margherita houses some paintings depicting a legend according to which the valley was inhabited by 6666 demons. On the subject of this, in far off times, a court hearing was even held against the devil.