Aymavilles, situated at 646 meters above sea level on the right bank of the Dora Baltea river, right at the entrance of Cogne Valley, offers a varied and well-cultivated landscape, in which vineyards and apple orchards seem to embrace the castle that dominates the whole territory. Its favorable location allowed a flourishing development of viticulture, which finds its strength in the production of red wine Torrette and many other renowned local wines.The name Aymavilles probably comes from Caius Avilius Caimus, promoter and owner of the roman aqueduct-bridge of Pont d’Aël, built in 3 BC.
WHAT TO SEE
● The Roman aqueduct-bridge of Pont d’Aël, a magnificent work of Roman civil engineering suspended 56 metres above the Grand Eyvia torrent.
● The Aymavilles Castle built by Amedeo of Challant during the XIV century.
● Saint-Léger parish church, with its beautiful frescoed facade and its mysterious medieval crypt.
● The pretty village of Ozein overlooking Mont Blanc and Grivola.
● The Cave des Onze Communes Cooperative and other winemakers.
NATURE AND SPORT
Aymavilles offers the opportunity to practice exciting descents along the Dora Baltea river which, with its 40 km navigable, is one of the most popular rivers suitable for river navigation. The activities offered are the most varied: riverboarding, rafting, kayaking, canyoning.
Around the village there are some nice walks among the vineyards while, for the most trained, there are many trails for trekking and ski mountaineering in winter.
About 20 km from the village there is the spectacular resort of Cogne, lying at the foot of the Gran Paradiso with lots of cross-country trails, alpine skiing facilities and many excursions to discover.
The Aosta-Pila cable car is just a 10-minute drive away.
EVENTS AND TRADITIONS
The Favò Festival, a typical dish of fava beans, is organised in late July in the hamlet of Ozein.
FOR THE LITTLE ONES
Kids can have fun in the large playground near the parish church of Saint-Léger.
● Inhabitants: 2.000
● Altitude: 646 m
● How to get there by public transport: Leaving from Aosta, Aymavilles can be reached by bus with line 5 “Aosta-Aymavilles”. For timetables visit the Svap company website.