Lying in a wide and flat area at about 900 m of altitude, Morgex owns a privileged position in the heart of the Valdigne, quite close at the famous ski resort of Courmayeur and La Thuile, to which it is linked thanks to the San Carlo pass. Even if the environment is typically Alpine, here vineyards are cultivated until 1,200 m of altitude to obtain the famous DOC Blanc de Morgex et de La Salle, known as the ‘highest wine of Europe’. The outline of the Mont Blanc stands out in the environment that sweeps hamlets, woods and vineyards: Morgex amazes also for its artistic and gastronomic features.
WHAT TO SEE
● De l’Archet Tower and Natalino Sapegno Foundation: in the heart of the town lies this tower which dates back to the X century and is one of the most ancient of the region. It is the seat of a prestigious foundation dealing which literary studies and organising public events too. It also hosts the comic strip museum.
● Parish church of Our Lady of the Assumption: it owns a stunning baroque altar, some frescoes dating back to the XV and XVI centuries and an interesting parish museum.
NATURE AND SPORT
It is always nice to exercise while surrounded by nature, but it is even nicer if you can do it while admiring the highest peak of the Alps. Morgex offers the chance to practice various sports to everybody, no matter your physical conditions or preferences. During the summer, one can choose the easy walks of the lower valley or towards the Marais nature reserve. But one can also choose those leading to the discovery of vineyards and wine cellars or climb towards the San Carlo pass, where one can admire the Mont Blanc from one of the most panoramic point of the region and have a stroll towards the Arpy lake. And the most trained ones can continue towards higher lakes and passes. Morgex gives its guests the chance of practising rafting, hydrospeeding, kayaking and canoeing. Thw town also has a sport centre to practise football, rugby and tennis and to play bowls.
In winter the Arpy area is a wonderful spot for cross-country skiing with more than 14 km of slopes and to have stroll on snow, also with snowshoes.
EVENTS AND TRADITIONS
● Martcià di Barradzue: an antiques market which is held on a Sunday of the second half of August. Here one can find prints, engravings, used book, numismatics, costume jewellery, laces, textiles and handmade objects and much more.
● On the Feast of the Assumption (15th August), the Patron Saint Festival sees the inhabitants of the town cheer up in typical parades, dances and rituals. This is the ‘Badoche’, a strong tradition which Morgex shares with the other towns of the Valdigne.
FOR THE LITTLE ONES
Kids won’t get bored at the foot of the Mont Blanc. In Morgex they can go for an easy walk both up in the mountains towards some panoramic points, the Arpy lake and the San Carlo area, where there is also a picnic area, and in the lower valley, along the flat, untomached road that goes from La-Ruine-Dessus to La Salle through pastures and vineyards, or the Marais nature reserve area. This wet land is a research centre with proposes activities and organises conferences too. During the summer, kids can try rafting and other water sports together with professionals.
Kids and adults can also try barefooting which consists in a barefoot exploration of some natural elements. This route is accessible and suitable also for blind people.
Little guests can also discover the new park dedicated to reading, a cosy green area with lots of attractions, from the goose game to the little tree house, chasing words and mysteries. The attractions have been designed to ensure maximum accessibility and inclusion.
In winter kids can practice cross-country skiing in Arpy, where they can find easy paths and instructors, or they can walk on the pedestrian route on the snow: here they will find some panels about fauna and the history of the mines.
● Inhabitants: 2100
● Altitude: 900 m
● How to get there by public transports: Morgex can be reached by bus with the “Aosta-Courmayeur” line. Timetables are available on the Arriva company website.